Wednesday, February 22, 2017

1. I am not a dog.



So, my new favorite YouTuber is Zach Anner.  Well, saying new favorite implies I had an old favorite, which I suppose is misleading... in fact, the only YouTuber I have ever watched more than once is James Rolfe as the Angry Video Game Nerd, who, if you've never seen his videos, is magical and entertaining, and also highly crude. But CLEVERLY crude... I owned two YouTuber books for a hot minute: Shane Dawson's I Hate My Selfie, and Jenn McCalister's Very Professional Internet Person. I used excerpts from Jenn McCalister's book to add to our models of literacy narrative; her chapters on how she came to make YouTube films and how she slowly cultivated an audience acts as a really nice piece of digital literacy narrative. It also inspired some of the best digital literacy narratives I've ever read from students. Shane Dawson's book, on the other hand, (WARNING >>> GIANT RANT) I saw as fairly well written, but too gratuitously crude (note, not CLEVERLY crude) to take seriously... or to really allow students to read. It actually kind of pissed me off that here was a person with some charisma and storytelling ability making dick and fart jokes just because it was probably the kind of thing he said to mask extreme self-loathing.... I suppose it pissed me off ever more that he admits this is why he does it. Anyway, now a student is reading it because she has watched several of his YouTube videos, also crude, and I suppose that I'd rather her be reading than on YouTube, so I gave her the book. As a general rule, I suppose, I don't spend much time on YouTube unless it is to stream highly intelligent videos in class, such as this video featuring Cookie Monster singing death metal.  See previous post featuring Cookie Monster...  ANYWHO (END OF RANT >>>)... I really enjoy Zach's sense of humor and openness about Cerebral Palsy. I wrote a story once narrated by a young man with CP. The story was partly inspired by a family friend with CP. Anyway, I hope, if a guy like Zach were to ever read the story, he would think I did an okay job depicting CP. That's something I worry about a lot. I'm writing something much longer that depicts several different people with exceptionalities. I just hope I don't royally screw it up. Also, I ordered Zach's book today.  Really looking forward to it.

No comments: