Monday, March 1, 2010

...that's definitely not going to pass code...

I've been spending some time lately learning the ins-and-outs of electrical wiring. I am tempted to go into detail here about the project but that would be a little too much like reliving a nightmare so I'll skip it. Speaking of nightmares, I read a scary story called "The Bees" by Dan Chaon last night before bed. There's a house fire in the story and I couldn't stop thinking about my electrical work before bed. Finally I had to get up and go touch the wires and the junction box to make sure they were cold before I could sleep. Jeez-oww!

I've been working on little stuff here and there, my own writing that is. I'm rewriting the novel, the one about the chef, in the first person. It's been a lot more fun now that I kind of know the story and I don't have to worry about keeping a straight face the whole time. I just finished re-revising chapter one just the other day. I feel pretty good about it I guess. I think the first couple pages are still going to be confusing, but I've been working on it. I think the relationship stuff regarding the main character and his roommate are much more realistic, and I think his "career dissatisfaction" is more evident, and (I hope) more funny. I hope there are a lot more funny parts, actually. I don't know, we'll see. I have an idea for at least one new character once the story moves to the school. It may very well take me another couple of years to finish the second draft. In the meantime I'm listening to the voices in my head. And working on story about a guy that can't stop vomiting.

Well, kids, that's about it. In the meantime I'm looking for something else to read that made me feel the way The Wild Things by Dave Eggers made me feel, and that is, like a kid again. Maybe I'll read Hendrik van Loon's The Story of Mankind?

No comments: