Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Digital Storytelling: Pre-reading Activity














Like most good ideas, I stole this one. Here's the gist: arrange four images on a slide (I used powerpoint) and have students put them in chronological order. You'll be amazed at the stories that come from nowhere. Use groups of three or so and let them figure out the story. I toyed with having them write it down, but it's much more dynamic if they just start telling a story out loud. I used these images to prepare them for The Catcher in the Rye. Afterward, you can tell them the order of the images as per the book: in Holden's case, it's the broken window, the F, the train and then the city.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am so stealing this idea in my classroom! This is the third year I've taught Catcher in the Rye, and I'm always searching for something different to start them up. All you ideas here are great, but this one I'm sure will be a hit.

John Skarl said...

Hi Cheryl
I'm glad you like the idea, and I'm also glad to hear from someone who values this book. Keep on keeping on.

John Skarl said...

John, great idea! Love it! I am going to try it with my 6th graders too. Maybe with Number the Stars or Bud, Not Buddy. Love you! :)